Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"Just when I thought it couldn't get any dumber..."

"Heroes does something like that..."

The Heroes finale aired on NBC last night, and after commenting last week about how I thought it might hurt them, I thought it would be necessary this week to discuss at length how it actually turned out.

First, one very interesting thing to note is that Heroes is written by multiple people, but last night they gave the writing credit to one of their big guns...Jeph Loeb. A friend of mine recently passed along some of Jeph's comic books, and he's had a ton of writing credits under his belt, so, needless to say, I was pretty excited to see him listed as the primary writer for the season finale.

Another interesting choice was made that I did kind of expect. It wasn't a hard ending. In other words, it was much more Empire Strikes Back than it was A New Hope. It ended, but there's a lot more to be resolved.

I won't go into details, because I don't want to add too many spoilers (although you should feel free to do so in the comments), but those were two things I found intriguing. But what did I think overall?

"...and totally redeems itself!"

Okay, yeah, I really liked last night's episode. I thought it was definitely up to par with Season 1 (although, Season 1 is still better overall). The writing was tight, it made sense, it cleared up some loose ends, it contained a good deal of action and suspense, and it left things open.

There were still some story arches that definitely needed more effort. We still didn't get connected to some of the emotional consequences of the show. Some of the things that came up (okay, one spoiler), like Nikki's, "I have a virus" didn't really pan out well. It needed more attention drawn to it, but they ran out of time. So, it wasn't all perfect, but it was pretty good.

Moral of the story? Not sure. But, definitely don't rush your story home at the last minute. If you've got a guy on third base, don't have him steal home plate just before a rain delay. Wait it out, keep the suspense up, and when the rain has passed, drive him home (all right, bad analogy).

If you're gonna send him home, though, make sure he's fast. Real fast. Bring in a substitute runner...like Jeph Loeb. I guess a really good writer can come in and clean things up really well, even with a struggling storyline.

Excellent writing. It's fun for a writer to watch another writer just kill. It's inspiring.

What'd you guys think of the season finale?

3 comments:

Sherer said...

Great post. Interesting thoughts.. Yet what ever happened to Peter Patreli's Girl?

J Sherer said...

I believe that he finally realized that his super powers would allow him to get someone much hotter or at least someone with more money.

Allison said...

The last episode definitely reminded me why I was hooked on Heroes in the first place. There's so much more for them to explore, but I really enjoyed where they took things in the last episode. That's what I like about this show...they can go in so many different directions, so they keep me guessing. But, there are a few storyline/plot gaps I'd like to see them fill in. And will Sark...(whoops, Alias flashback) uh, Adam...escape? I sure hope so. They need to keep David Anders around. He's deliciously evil.