Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Moon is Cool

Sometimes, the best stories aren't fiction

I know, I know... I've been gone for the past couple weeks. First my laptop finally shorted out enough that I had to take it in for repairs (which took about a week). And then, when I got the laptop back, I got sick. But, enough with the excuses…

I saw a movie the other day that I loved. One of the best movies I’ve seen in a really long time. Big action sequences, extreme drama, heroism, and the characters were amazing.

And you know what? It all actually happened.

"In the Shadow of the Moon" is a documentary from Ron Howard that tells the amazing story of our Apollo Program. That’s right, the true American heroes who took our nation to the moon.

I sat in front of the TV, enraptured by the story of an extraordinary group of individuals pursuing the dreams of a nation. Imagine strapping yourself to a rocket and launching yourself into space. But don’t stop there. Travel 3 days to our closest celestial neighbor, don a space suit, and jump out into a crater.

I wish I could write a story that compelling. There’s a reason these guys have “The Right Stuff.” Our astronauts are true heroes, and yet they’re just men (and now women). And this documentary does an excellent job of capturing their thoughts, their emotions, and the story of one of our nation’s coolest accomplishments.

I encourage all the writers seeking to develop their talents and all the readers wanting to watch compelling, interesting storytelling to watch "In the Shadow of the Moon". Why? It’s great filmmaking. It’s great storytelling. And it reminds us why we do what we do.

No comments: